Friday, March 28, 2014

Introducing my first FungiFacts Friday: Turkey Tail Mushrooms

       I decided today that every Friday from hence forth will be FungiFact day (*^.^) A day to spread knowledge on how important fungi can be in improving the health of our bodies and the health of the planet's ecosystems that support us. I'll be posting either a showcase on one mushroom/mycelium species and its benefits, or a link to an article about how fungi can improve our lives. What better mushroom to start with then my favorite one... TURKEY TAIL MUSHROOMS (Trametes versicolor)!!! (*>.<)

Thanks to curbstonevalley.com/blog/ for this beautiful picture

       There is a huge variety out there of size and colors for Turkey Tails Mushrooms. The picture above is the one I used for my oil painting I gave to Paul Stamets. While I'm on the subject of Paul he has a great article he did for the Huffington Post Turkey Tail Mushrooms Help Immune System Fight Cancer, definitely check it out! These mushrooms are absolutely amazing, they're a woodland polypore that grow in forests all across the world. For centuries they have been appreciated by people in Asia and Europe for their medicinal properties. The mycelium (underground root-like network) of this species secretes poweful enzymes that destroy toxins. It also contains an antitumor compound and improves the immune system's natural killer cells to fight cancer. 

       These Mushrooms can tolerate a wide range of climates and grow on virtually all dead hardwoods, grow them indoors yourself even Turkey Tail Mushroom Patch. I really want to buy this mushroom kit from Paul Stamets website along with the Plant Success Tabs for my garden this spring and some Cordychi Spiced Hot Chocolate just cuz it sounds delicious and I'm trying to not drink so much coffee... I digress, but while I'm having a ramble on his awesome website you can also get Turkey Tail Capsules there :) I take them as part of his Mycommunity Capsules blend. Although I have a lot more to say on this species, I'll save that rant for another time and let you soak all that information in (*^.^)
Mandy Spring, Aspiring Mycologist

No comments:

Post a Comment